Tasty recipes for Pancake DayBy TheStudentGuide
Cook up a storm this Shrove Tuesday.
Pancake Day falls on Tuesday, February 12 this year, and as they are delicious, affordable and just downright fun, we thought we’d pull together a little recipe card for you. Below is exactly how to make the perfect pancake plus some tasty ideas for toppings. Or fillings— however you like to roll.
Serves 8 | Cooking time: 2 minutes
100g plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp oil or nob of butter
Pinch of salt
- Pour the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Crack the eggs into the well, gradually add the milk and whisk. Beat until you have a smooth liquid.
- Heat the frying pan over a high heat with the oil / butter. Spoon a ladle of batter into the pan and tilt to get an even layer. Pour any excess back into your jug.
- Leave to cook on one side for 30 seconds — 1 minute, or until cooked. Flip or turn your pancake.
- Cook the other side for the same amount of time et voila!
Nutella and banana
Nutella and banana is a delicious combination for those of you with a sweet tooth. Simply spread a thick layer of Nutella over your pancake and arrange slices of banana on top. Then, roll, fold or scrunch into your mouth!
Cream cheese and bacon
For those of you who prefer your pancakes with a savoury kick, cream cheese and bacon is absolutely delicious. Simply spread a layer of cream cheese (Philadelphia works the best) and a rasher of bacon inside your pancake and then roll it up. Mmmm mm!
Chicken and leek
Something a bit different, but if you fill your pancakes with char grilled chicken and a creamy leek sauce, you have a healthy tea-time meal which involves very little effort. Add mustard to the sauce for a hotter kick and serve with green salad to accompany.