Special Fried RiceBy Emma
Another tasty recipe from the guys at SORTED Food.
Students and takeaways seem to go hand in hand. But at times you have to question why we bother… when a dish like this tastes so good, can be made in the time it takes for the delivery guy to arrive, uses up leftover veg in the fridge and is cheaper. Beat the takeaway as you get dinner SORTED.
- Plain white rice (100g)
- ½ an onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ a red pepper
- A few button mushrooms
- Couple of rashers of smoked bacon
- Handful of frozen prawns, thawed
- Handful of frozen peas, thawed
- 2 eggs
- Shot of stir-fry oil (infused with ginger and garlic)
- Splash of soy sauce (gluten-free if required)
- Drizzle of sesame oil
- Boil the rice in salted water until just cooked, then drain, rinse in cold water and immediately cool.
- Peel and slice the onion, then crush the garlic.
- Slice the pepper, mushrooms and bacon.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and tip into a hot frying pan with a dash of oil to make an omelette.
- Tip the omelette out onto a chopping board, roll into a cigar shape and hack up.
- Fry the onion, garlic and bacon in a large, very hot pan until they start to colour.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Tip in the peas and prawns, mix well, heat through and then empty everything in the pan into a bowl for a moment.
- Add a dash more oil to the now empty pan or wok and add the rice. Fry until hot through, stirring all the time, before adding the egg and all the other bits.
- Season with soy sauce, a drizzle of sesame oil and serve immediately.