On this day in history…Elvis Presley diedBy TheStudentGuide
Rock & Roll icon Elvis Presley died on August 16 1977.
At just 42 years of age, Presley was found slumped in his bathroom. Upon discovery, he was rushed to the Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, however was pronounced dead on arrival. The post mortem revealed that Elvis had suffered a cardiac arrhythmia – a form of heart attack which was probably offset by his regular indulgence in fast food.
The day after his death, thousands of friends, fans and admirers gathered to file past his body which lay at his mansion in Graceland.
During his lifetime, Elvis sold over 300million albums and made 33 films.
In 2001, he came top in US magazine Forbes' poll of ‘Richest Deceased Celebrities’ which put his estate's earnings at £23million.
10 facts you didn't know about Elvis Presley:
- He was a twin, however his brother Jesse was stillborn.
- He only ever did one advert in his lifetime - a radio advertisement for doughnuts, in 1954.
- He was a black belt in Karate.
- Until his late teens, he was blond.
- He recorded over 600 song in his lifetime, but didn't srite a single one of them.
- The last film he ever saw at the cinema was The Spy who Loved Me.
- He collected marble statues of the Venus de Milo and Joan of Arc.
- Him and his friend Johnny Cash used to do impersonations of each other.
- His last meal was four scoops of ice cream and six chocolate chip cookies.
- Elvis was a big Monty Python fan - his favourite film was The Holy Grail which was in his video recorder when he died.