Indie games vs virtual reality!By Sj.Cliff
Playstation and Xbox are at it again! They’ve only gone and both made massive new announcements about the future of gaming. But who will win this round?
At the Game Developers Conference on March 18th (can you see where this is going?) Microsoft has announced the launch of 25 new indie games.
Super Time Force
In all over 250 games development kits have been sent out through ID@Xbox, which hints that the 25 may not be all.
“Our goal has always been to make Xbox One the best place to play games, and that means having a diverse portfolio for gamers to choose from,” Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer said. “We've worked closely with independent developers to bring their own brand of creativity and innovation to the platform and today is just the beginning."
Microsofts Phil Spencer....................................................…. Not this guy
• “1001 Spikes” by Nicalis
• “Calibre 10 Racing Series” by Bongfish GmbH
• “CastleStorm” by Zen Studios
• “Chariot” by Frima
• “Chuck’s Challenge 3D” by Niffler
• “Contrast” by Compulsion Games
• “Divekick Addition Edition +” by Iron Galaxy Studios
• “Forced” by BetaDwarf ApS
• “FRU” by Through Games
• “Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition” by DrinkBox Studios
• “Gunscape” by Blowfish Studios
• “Habitat” by 4gency
• “Hyper Light Drifter” by Heart Machine
• “It Draws a Red Box” by Other Ocean
• “Nutjitsu” by NinjaBee
• “Pinball Arcade” by FarSight Studios
• “Q.U.B.E. Director’s Cut” by Toxic Games
• “Riptide GP2” by Vector Unit
• “Roundabout” by No Goblin
• “Sixty Second Shooter Prime” by Happion Laboratories
• “Spectra: 8bit Racing” by Gateway Interactive
• “Strike Suit Zero” by Born Ready Games
• “Super Time Force” by Capybara
• “The Last Tinker” by Mimimi Productions
• “Wulverblade” by Darkwind Media
(alphabetical and not chronological)
But is this all to make up for flagging sales? Ps4 were leading in the sales since release date, so will this new buffet of games be enough to tempt people over?
Ps4 Have hit back the same day with Project Morphious – their first step into the world of Virtual Reality. (Is it too much of a coincidence this comes after Microsoft announced they were looking into the same thing?)
The Morphious headset.
Sony have spent three years looking into the project already. While it’s said that this is by no means the first prototype of the VR headset, it’s already boasting some pretty impressive spec:
• 1080p display
• 90+ degree field of view
• 100hz tracking
• 3 meter working volume
• Full 360 degrees
• Supports forward prediction
• Works if you wear glasses
• Current iteration is wired
• DualShock 4 and PS Move detection with same camera
• Fully adjustable
• Supports custom headphones and wireless headsets
Hoping to push the game world forward, Sony have said that VR will eventually become gamers “preferred medium” and even branch out into other industries.
Sounds great right? But those of you who experience motion sickness may have difficulty adjusting.
Named after the Greek God of Dreams (not the Matrix) is that all VR will ever be or is this a serious step forward?