Hayley Newton gives us the best way to stay fit in summerBy Editor
With summer in full swing, it's the perfect time to show off that body to it's peak. Forget sweaty exercise classes, being locked away at the gym and counting calories. We want to be out in the sunshine enjoying ourselves....but we still want to look great. Right?! Whether it's a day out at the beach, a trip to the park, or a lunch date with friends you can still have fun and Hayley can show you how.
1) Top-tips for how to tone up without realising you're exercising
It’s been an absolutely gorgeous summer so far, and so we‘ve ALL been lapping up the sun. No one wants to be indoors, so don't be!
- Why not try yoga with your friends in some of the parks. You can do some basic exercises that you may already know and one of you can choose to lead it. Or, you can find some local gyms who have taken their yoga classes outside who have an actual teacher. Either way you're enjoying the sun and working out.
- Alternatively, if you want to get fit but don't want to feel like you're even working out, fear not. There are lots of fun activities to do that don’t even feel like exercise. Try getting a group of friends together to play some rounders, frisbee or football. Believe me, you'll be breaking a sweat in this weather PLUS burning loads of calories.
- Just the simple dog walk can be more interesting in the sun. Stop going down the same path and route that you would when it's usually raining. Put your dog in the car and drive somewhere special. The beach, a lake or a forest will change the environment and make it more interesting for you AND your dog. You'll be catching rays as you walk, and burning calories. Walk further than you usually would, at a bit more of a brisk tempo and you'll be perspiring in no time!
- Just generally try and walk everywhere. Think how often you get into your car, even if it’s to grab some milk. If you replaced all those car journeys by walking, it would be a lot healthier for you and you wouldn't be missing out on the beautiful weather. We just don't know how long it will hold up ;)
Some games for the beach and/or park would be...
Hula Hooping: Not only is this fun and a laugh, but it's a lot trickier than it looks. Remembering the feeling of how you did it when you were a kid will take some practice. If you like a challenge then this will keep you entertained for a very long time. (Remember, hoola hoops aren’t just good for your waist, their also a fantastic way to tone up your arms, legs and even your neck.)
Skipping: You can do this on the spot, or you can skip and take a trip. There are so many tricks that you can learn and make it fancy, or as I said, you can follow a path and actually do a loop in a park somewhere. You will most DEFINITELY feel the burn with this one. Skipping on a journey will burn a tremendous amount of calories. You'll have to have good co-ordination, but once you're on a roll there'll be no stopping you.
Skateboarding/Scooter: Now be careful with this one. If you want to learn a new skill you could take up skateboarding. It requires a lot of technique and you won't just pop up on it and be away. But practice makes perfect. If you're looking to just do something quick and easy for fun, then try a scooter. It's a lot safer, and gets you from A to B in the cutest and jazziest little way. Make sure you change legs so you're working out your leg muscles evenly!
Roller Skating: We may not be down Santa Monica in LA, however, why can't we wear jean shorts some headphones and skate down the side walk? Do it!! Starlight Express was created in England and your inner child wants to get you back on those wheels. Again, I can't stress enough to be careful. You're not going to be as fearless or as agile as you were when you were a child. Do it with a friend and hold hands! Don't try it out near a road either.
Cycling: Cardio, cardio, cardio! Cycle everywhere. If you don't know how to, then learn! Everyone should know how to ride a bike. If you don't then you must try it. You can definitely go and get your carton of milk with one of these. If you think walking it is too far, then hop on your bicycle. One of the best ways to keep fit and burn loads of calories!