You won’t believe these 15 things happened 10 years agoBy Emily Logan
(Banner image: Pete Niesen / Shutterstock.com)
When you were younger, 10 years felt like a lifetime, but suddenly it's no longer 2008 and we're only a few days away from the end of 2018. Maybe that doesn’t sound too scary, but it will when I put a few things into perspective for you. Can you believe that all of these happened 10 years ago?
1. Katy Perry released 'Hot N Cold' and 'I Kissed A Girl'
2. The first Iron Man film was released
6. Obama won the US election
Barrack Obama became the first African American to be elected as president of the United States.
'If I Were a Boy' reached number one in the UK charts.
8. Season 2 of Keeping Up with the Kardashians aired
The series featured Rob considering a modelling career, Kourtney snooping through Scott’s Blackberry (yes, remember Blackberrys?) and the iconic Bentley fight.
9. Heath Ledger passed away
It was in January of 2008 that Heath Ledger tragically passed away, with his iconic portrayal of the Joker in The Dark Knight coming out later in the same year.
10. People thought the Large Hadron Collider would end the world
CERN switched on the Large Hadron Collider, a device which many feared would create a black hole and destroy the world.
11. John Sergeant became an unlikely favourite on Strictly Come Dancing
Former journalist, John Sergeant, captured the nation's hearts when he competed on Strictly Come Dancing. He received lots of backlash from the judging panel but broke everyone's heart when he decided to quit.
12. Beyoncé and Jay-Z got married
Other 2008 celebrity weddings included Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi and Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds (is it even possible to picture him with someone other than Blake Lively?).
13. The final High School Musical was released
14. WALL-E hit cinemas
15. Tom Cruise’s promotional video for Scientology was leaked
Have we missed any? Let us know what was your defining moment of 2008.